We emphasize the Microcosmic Orbit breathing process for enhanced reproductive health.
A full breath triggers the respiratory center in the medulla to activate peptides and endorphins, the initiators of your hormonal system, These peptides are released into the central nervous system and circulate throughout the body. The microcosmic orbit activates the respiratory center, circulating its messages of relaxation and receptivity throughout the entire body, most notably the HPO axis. Perform this breathing exercise any chance you have. As you become experienced, the microcosmic breath should begin to flow as a single movement, and will be done effortlessly.
The Original MCO Breath
- Place tongue on the roof of mouth, behind the front teeth.
- Inhale through the nose and down the center of the body, through the lungs down the rib cage, expanding the belly fully.
- Feel a pool of energy form in your uterine/ovarian area (the dan tien).
- As you are nearing the end of the inhalation, draw the energy down the pelvis to the pelvic floor muscles surrounding the vagina or the perineum.
- Release, and as you exhale, let the belly fall back in, and send the energy from the coccyx up the spine to the top of the head, down the forehead, and out the nose.
When you are comfortable with the MCO breathing process, you can enhance its effects with three areas of focus.
1. With your attention on the womb area, focus on what this original, creative energy feels like. Open up to your original qi; that which has been present before you were even born. Feel its infinite potential to create. Spend a few minutes with your awareness on this area.
2. As you inhale, expand the feeling of an open heart, bringing the immensity of your heart’s energy down to the dan tien. With each exhalation, feel as if you are pulling down any excess unwanted energy to the base of the perineum for release as you exhale up the spine. Spend a few minutes focusing on release.
3. Between exhalation and inhalation, notice the area between and behind the center of your eyebrows. This is the energetic area where perception of your environment is translated into chemical messages that orchestrate the entire endocrine cascade. Spend a few minutes becoming aware of the sensation of miraculous potential, as your perception of your world turns into a hormonal message.
Allow yourself to make this breathing meditation your very own. Some days you might be more drawn to focus on the womb, and your own infinite potential. Other days you might need to spend more time releasing. There also might be more of a call to a particular area of the body – the head, the heart, or the pelvis. Make this process come alive for you.